Thursday, November 8, 2007

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Dough Hummus

This recipe was given to me by veganmomma. I made it for a playgroup we went to last month and I got some good feedback. I thought it was great, but next time I will use almond butter instead of peanut butter, which was all I had on hand. The peanut butter overpowered the other ingredients, I thought. It was really yummy with tart green apple slices.

There is also the fact that we're all really used to eating savory hummus, NOT a sweet hummus, so you kind of have to wrap your brain around that concept first!!

Ingredients:
1 can or 1 1/2 cups chickpeas
1 ½ Tbsp almond or cashew butter
4 Tbsp applesauce
1 tsp neutral oil
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ Tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
Lots of cinnamon (about 1 tsp to start)
1/4 cup raisins (soak in hot water for a few minutes)
3 Tbsp oats (to start)

Other Possible Add-Ins/Variations:
A spoonful of flaxseeds (for a nutty flavor and omega-3s)
Sunflower seeds
Walnuts
Sliced almonds
Other dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, golden raisins, etc.)
A different nut butter (cashew, peanut)
Chocolate chips

Instructions:
Puree all ingredients together except for the dry raisins. Add extra cinnamon to taste and more maple syrup if you want it to be sweeter.
Stir in dry raisins and other optional ingredients.

No comments: